Leading up to a user centered workshop I went to Mexico to meet stakeholders and visit construction sites to observe current state operations.
I lead our design team to work with users, business stakeholders, Apple design evangelists during a 3 day session in Cupertino. After some initial interviews, we move quickly to sketches and high fidelity mocks in order to present, gain feedback and iterate.
Through design reviews with users and stakeholders I quickly iterated and gathered feedback to achieve a product that balanced showing as much contextually relevant data with working environments with low connectivity and a need for low touch interaction.
Two roles drove functional priorities as the design evolved. Jobsite foreman used order cards to easily see updates and have quick access to the map view. Company supervisors have an easy way to see an aggregate view of progress across jobsites along with an easy way to get to reporting functions.
Initial scope focussed on ready mix deliveries for large orders. As I started to look at how to accommodated additional business lines along with trying to make some of the deeper functions more readily accessible I took inventory of the current state and mapped possible next steps.
Initial feedback uncovered a need to make some deeper functions to be more easy to find and contextually relevant.
Building on the card flip approach, we settled on a more static approach that balanced performance while still focussing on clarity.
The pilot focussed on large orders for readymix. From there the app grew to support two additional core business lines along with a long tail of delivery scenarios, order sizes, states, and customer adjustments.
The design was approached with the intention of leveraging standard iOS components and best practices to encourage development efficiency with an eye on long term product support. This also dramatically reduced lead time in extending to additional devices on platform in order to test viability.